Suzie . Millie
. Saxonie . "ROSE" . Accessories . Dimensions . Tips and Tricks . Prices .
Manufactured in New Zealand by a small family run business, the
"Suzie" is an excellent spinning wheel. Below are some of the key points to
consider when comparing the "Suzie" to other spinning wheels on the market.
- Incredibly smooth
- Comfortable to use
for long periods of spinning
- It adjusts to your
needs, instead of forcing you to adapt to it
- And it is built to
- Made of native New Zealand "Rimu" wood
- They have a beautiful reddish brown color
- Often will have very distinctive random grain patterns.
- True Double pedals with true Double Treadle mechanism
- (See a Moving picture lower on the page)
- for heel and toe treadling
- Easy "no hands" starting of the flywheel
- The Pedals are at a comfortable angle for prolonged spinning
- The spinning head column can be shifted from side to side
- Give your back a rest during extended periods of spinning
- Wonderfully comfortable "long draw" positions
- Aluminum pitman rods with spherical bearings,
- No floppy sticks with leather bearings
- Optional Dark Green Solid, heavier, Larger flywheel,
- Folds for transport with convenient handle
- Right or left handed spinning,
- Easy to set up and easy to change
- Scotch tension, simple but responsive
- Pinch and move flyer hooks,
- New loop type flyer hook to combat "yarn throw out"
- Spinning "Delta",
- Fast and easy yarn threading without a threading hook
- Lightweight bobbins are very responsive
- Remove full bobbins without altering the drive belt
- Boilable Plastic bobbins,
- You can set the twist in spun cotton right on the bobbin
- Sealed ball bearings oiled for life,
- No drippy oil bottle needed
- 5 basic ratios,
- approximately 4, 7, 10, 12.5, 15 to 1 (in the real world the top ratio is about 14 : 1 )
- These speeds are included on each wheel
- Why do I say 5 speeds when every one else, (including the manufacturer) says 12?
- There are 5 grooves on both the flywheel and whorl, and if you step the belt no more
than 1 groove each way from vertical on either the whorl or the flywheel, there are 13
possible combinations. However, what you end up with are things like 9.4 to 1, 9.6 to 1
(where the belt is straight up and down), and 9.7 to 1, and the average spinner can not
feel the difference. You have 5 basic speed ratios, with a tiny adjustment for each.
- And by the way, anyone who states the slowest ratio as being 3.6 to 1 is seriously out
of date, as that whorl was replaced many, many years ago.
- Stretchy drive band,
- Solid, stable,
- Price includes 4 bobbins
- Every wheel comes with a factory finish,
- no "finish it your-self" wheels are ever offered.
- Factory finish reduces the warping that is common on other brands caused by temperature
and humidity changes during shipping.
- This is a spinning wheel that you can purchase as a beginner and grow into instead of
grow out of.
- This wheel can be easily adjusted to accommodate the needs of a child or shorter person.
- Simple for beginners, but still fills the needs of many advanced spinners.
Most Majacraft dealers want to sell you a "drop shipped"
spinning wheel (sent direct to your door from New Zealand), since they will not have any
inventory cost, and in fact they never see your wheel. All dealers in the U.S. pay exactly
the same amount in New Zealand dollars for each spinning wheel, no matter how many they
buy, or where in the U.S. they are located. Each spinning wheel is priced in N.Z. to
include shipping to any location in the U.S. or Alaska. In other words, the "free
shipping" from Majacraft is either to the dealer, or to you, not from the dealer to
Delivery time for "drop shipped" spinning wheels currently from
2 to 3 weeks.
Of course we can sell you a "drop shipped" spinning wheel
(though in the past, I did not recommend "drop ship's"). We stock Majacraft
"Suzie"s here in Colorado for quick shipment through out the United States (you
pay extra for the UPS). Purchase a "Suzie" from us and it can be on your door
step in 3 to 5 days (in the original shipping box, some assembly required) or we can ship
you a Fully Assembled "Suzie", (ready to spin on) in the same amount of time.
Why should you purchase a spinning wheel from us?
I am retired. My livelihood does not depend on selling you a
spinning wheel. I can sell you a Majacraft Spinning wheel with only a modest profit for
- Majacraft is the only spinning wheel brand that we sell. Not because we
can't sell others, but because we won't.
- I am Colorado's Majacraft Specialist. I sell
them, I use them, but most important, I fix them! I understand
the workings of this wheel much better than someone who just sells!
- We stock repair parts and accessories. By having the
parts on hand, I can correct problems in new wheels before we sell them, ( before the new
owners took over, some of the spinning wheels came in with a problem or two and this is
the reason we have not recommend drop shipped spinning wheels, however, I am VERY pleased
with the quality supplied by the current owners).
- We keep both the "Green" flywheel "Suzie Pro"
and the "Standard" model of the "Suzie" (see the pictures at the end
of this page) as well as bobbins, lazy kates, and even a wheel skeiner in stock.
- A spinning wheel purchased from our stock, has had a chance to
acclimatize to our area, and I can adjust for the wood's shrinking before it is sold.
- For Colorado residents, we need charge only 3% sales tax, this will save
you $12 to $16 if you live in one of the cities that collect 6 to 7%.
- You can come to our farm (just outside of Crawford, Colo.), meet the
sheep, feel the fleece, and try the spinning wheels, without any obligation or pressure to
- We will tell it like it is, the BEAUTY .... and the WARTS. We will give
you our honest opinion. If the Majacraft is not suited to you, we will tell you NOT to buy
- We sell the Majacraft wheels because we feel that most other spinning
wheels are over priced and designed to self-destroy. We want you to have the option to buy
an excellent wheel at a reasonable price.
- Exclusive from Woolly Designs....I can ship to you, a
FULLY ASSEMBLED AND READY TO USE "Suzie" at a reasonable price. No need to worry
about missing parts, things that do not fit, and all the uncertainty of "some
assembly required". You will have the security of knowing that it
was put together correctly and tested, by someone who knows how.
- You are a person, not just a customer.
Because we purchase our inventory with New Zealand dollars, we must
contend with the ever changing exchange rate between U.S. and N.Z. We maintain a
set profit for each spinning wheel. When the exchange rate moves against the U.S., we
charge more for each spinning wheel. When the rate moves in our favor, we charge less,
passing the savings on to you, and that is why our prices float up and down.
...........Click here for prices on wheels and accessories
All "Suzie" wheels are currently shipped with 4
Majacraft's "Suzie Pro" with a Green composite flywheel and the
"Standard Suzie" with the flat flywheel with a wood grained plastic veneer over
a composite core
Majacraft has replaced the previous "Wood Look" flywheel on the Standard
Suzie with the new 'flat' flywheel. These flywheels no longer have a problem with
splitting and warping like the old ones did. The new 'flat' flywheel is roughly the
same size and weight as the Green flywheel and as such have basically the same 'feel'.
Maja is continuing to produce the Green flywheel since many spinners like the lathe
turned look and the rich green color.
The "Green" flywheel is solid "composite" (man made wood product
called "MDF"), while the "Standard Suzie" flywheel has a clean,
plastic veneer with a routered design. (Show me MDF, and tell
me more about it)
We will (gladly) accept checks, money orders, and bank checks, (all
payable in U.S. Dollars) for all purchases. We will only accept "Paypal"
to pay for purchases of less than $10.00.
|**Copyright 1997- 2009 Woolly Designs**
*** Send us an
|*Jump links within this web site*